Sunday, November 4, 2007

Wikipedia

Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia. This virtual encyclopedia can be altered by anyone who uses it which in my opinion makes this source of information very unreliable. A Cal-tech grad named Virgil Griffith has created a program that can trace the IP address of the computer used to edit the information on wikipedia. This program cannot tell you which person at the IP address made the edits, but it can tell you what company's computer was used to make the edits. Many, many companies have altered information about their company. Not just businesses, but political parties, celebrities, etc.. They can just go in and delete or change any unflattering information about them at any time.
I do not see myself using this source of information for anything except for maybe entertainment. When I need information I like to know that my information is correct and this source just can not provide that security. I really do not even see why someone would even create a source of information like this that could have been a great resource and the allow people to be able to change that information into anything the please. I mean who would not change public information that made them look bad if they could? I find this source to be a waste of time and I think that it is awesome that someone came up with a program that lets the general public know who is trying to hide the truth!

No comments: